A Visit to the West Coast Railway Heritage Park - What You Will See


MLW RSC-3 Road Switcher (PGE #561)

This locomotive has a very significant history, being the very first road diesel locomotive acquired by the Pacific Great Eastern Railway. PGE went to MLW for its first group of diesels for the mainline in 1951, and #561 was the first of the fleet. A fairly rare model on account of its six wheel trucks, this model was purchased to handle the PGE's light rail at the time. PGE 561 had the honour of pulling the first official train between North Vancouver and Squamish in 1956 when the new line was opened
It was donated to WCRA in the mid 1980's and restored to its PGE colours in 1988. But much work was needed to bring it back to original, including replacing the long hood panels (BC Rail had modified these, but a set was swapped with a mill locomotive on Vancouver Island) and finding a set of six wheel trucks (BC Rail had replaced them with four wheel versions). These were found and purchased from CN, so by the mid 1990s PGE #561 was back to its original appearance.


MLW RSC-3 Road Switcher

 

 


prev: MLW S-3 Switcher

twitterfacebookinstagramyoutube

The West Coast Railway Association is a charitable organization
committed to preserving British Columbia's railway heritage.


West Coast Railway Association
PO Box 2790 Stn. Term.
Vancouver, B.C. V6B 3X2
Canada

Charitable business number: 119292480 RR0001