A Visit to the West Coast Railway Heritage Park - What You Will See


PGE Car Shop

This wooden frame building is 151’ long by 80’ wide and 35’ high. It was built in 1914 and served the Pacific Great Eastern in the capacity of a car repair facility until 1991. The Car Shop is one of only four remaining original buildings from the Pacific Great Eastern Railway (others are the stations in North Vancouver, Williams Lake and Quesnel). It was originally situated approximately 1 mile south of here in the BC Rail yards. It was moved to this present location August 1991 in one piece by Supreme House Movers of Maple Ridge.

PGE Car Shop


This is the biggest building in Western Canada to ever be moved in one piece and it took one week to move it. It is also believed to be the largest wood frame building ever to have been moved intact in North America.

It houses car exhibits and is still used for restoration and many other projects here at the park.

 

 


prev: Sleeping Car Bell Island
next: Snowplows


twitterfacebookinstagramyoutube

The West Coast Railway Association is a charitable organization
committed to preserving British Columbia's railway heritage.


West Coast Railway Association
PO Box 2790 Stn. Term.
Vancouver, B.C. V6B 3X2
Canada

Charitable business number: 119292480 RR0001