A Visit to the West Coast Railway Heritage Park - What You Will See


No. 2 Pacific Great Eastern Locomotive (2 Spot)

Built in February 1910 this is a “Prairie” type (2-6-2) Baldwin steam locomotive weighing 60 tons. It was the Pacific Great Eastern Railway’s first steam locomotive. The No. 2 is the last surviving steam engine of the PGE.

It was a reliable steam engine and was capable of pulling supply trains up the Squamish Valley and returning loaded with logs. She also worked the North Shore Line until being sold to the Comox Logging and Railway Company on Vancouver Island. There she served as a logging engine until the early 1960’s.

In 1967 No.2 was presented to the District of Squamish, and in 1990 was donated to the WCRA subsequently to be housed at the WCRHP.

There is a saddle tank on the engine that would hold the water. It was originally fueled with wood or coal. True railroaders refer to her as “The Two Spot”.

No. 2 Pacific Great Eastern Locomotive (2 Spot)

 


prev: RPO (Rail Post Office) Car
next: Scale House


twitterfacebookinstagramyoutube

The West Coast Railway Association is a charitable organization
committed to preserving British Columbia's railway heritage.


West Coast Railway Association
PO Box 2790 Stn. Term.
Vancouver, B.C. V6B 3X2
Canada

Charitable business number: 119292480 RR0001