Engine 374 Pavilion
ADMISSION is free, donations appreciated
Open Daily except holidays - Year Round
The Engine 374 Pavilion is located on the corner of Davie Street and Pacific Boulevard (next to the Roundhouse Community Centre) a 10 minute walk from downtown Vancouver, and a few steps from the Roundhouse – Yaletown Canada Line station. Click here for a map of our location
May 23, 1887 was a great day for Vancouver, when CPR Engine 374 pulled the first transcontinental passenger train into the city. Crowds cheered, the city band played, ships in the harbour blew their horns, and hundreds of flags decorated the young city. It was a great day not only for Vancouver, but for the whole nation. The event heralded the completion of one of the greatest engineering feats of the century, a twin line of steel rails linking the new nation of Canada from coast to coast, ten years in construction.
In 1945, after many years of service, including the Second World War, Engine 374 was finally retired. The engine was first placed in Kitsilano Park for all to see, and play on, but it suffered greatly from salt air and the passage of the seasons. In 1983, many dedicated citizens came to the engine's rescue, and began the herculean task of restoring the engine to its former glory. With additional funds raised through the Heritage Brick Program, the restoration was completed in time for EXPO 86, and there the refurbished engine was a prime attraction.
The unique Heritage Brick Program was a great success. $400,000 was raised for the refurbishing of the engine, by way of individuals who bought one brick or more for $20.00 each, and thereby had their names engraved on each of their bricks. Now all those "name" bricks are on display as part of the floor of the pavilion, much to the delight of all who contributed.
Now after more than 127 years, the engine has found its permanent home. The Engine 374 Pavilion, stands in the heart of the city for all to visit and admire as a valued part of our nation's history.